Happily Miserable

Happily Miserable
Its exhausting keeping this attitude

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Professionalism People?

Today was the day I was destined to buy a calendar. So as a frugal person, such as myself, does when they do not want to spend a lot, but need a new calendar, I went to the mall's calendar nook to get one at an awesomely discounted rate. And I did, its a calendar with pictures of fish and sea life and it reminds me of the need to squirrel away money for a nice tropical honeymoon or vacation.

After I completed my mission I swung into the Victorias Secret to purchase some new (and much needed/wanted) panties. I like bright colors, and so far really- VS panties last me a lot longer than say Haynes or whatever the generic department store brand is. Plus 5 for 25 is a nice deal! ;)

However the thing I was NOT pleased about was the condition of the store. First off it was a wreck. For a store that is designed to sell lingerie (a word that needs to sound the way it is spelled, much like bologna or Gloucester) it certainly was more reminiscent of a Wal-mart. It was overly cluttered, there were large "CLEARANCE" signs everywhere, the employees werent even up to par. I saw three sitting around a table talking while one guy (who I suspect was just a little more trained than a trainee) was running the register. One woman kept skulking in between the register and a table, and finally one miraculously appeared to the register to help Mr Noob with getting some of the people out. And she was hardly dressed to what I would consider VS par.

Now I will fully admit- Tabitha's Salon Takeover is one of my favorite shows and Tabitha is someone I idolize. Most people may view her as a bitch, but in reality she is only a bitch to those who deserve it. She is highly skilled in her field of business, she is polite and welcoming to clients, and she whips the butts of those who need looking after. She doesnt sugar coat things, and she knows what it takes to get a job done well. If I could be anyone for a week, it would be Tabitha.

Now anyone who has seen the show would know that she is able to transform a group of employees and one lousy owner from being lazy, boisterous, and miserable into a team of professional, polite, and above all else HAPPY successful hair dressers. I can NOT emphasize how many businesses need a Tabitha to come in and whip them into shape.

Today VS was one of those businesses. While standing in line, not moving, for about 5 minutes with only 2 people between me and Mr Noob, each of whom only had a couple items, I was heavily contemplating leaving. I was overall appalled by the condition of the store. It was cluttered, clusterphobic, and quite overwhelming. There were tall shelves in front of the registers which made the register hard to find for anyone unfamiliar with the store's layout and were close enough together that I suspect even the larger (not trying to be mean here I promise) woman who seemed to be a manager (but was acting more like everyones assistant) would not have been able to fit between them. If I had not actually needed panties, and had been so so about the ones in my hand, I WOULD have walked out.

The store was so lacking in professionalism, it made me miserable to just be in there. I think I would rather drive to another mall in another town to get panties the next time I need them unless that store shapes up. It was not a pleasant shopping experience and I will need an aspirin or a stiff drink to want to go in there again anytime soon.

So if you are reading this and you do own a business, here are a few tips:

1. Dont let your employees shout to each other across the store. That is fine for after hours but a store is not a party. It is a business. Act accordingly.

2. If you have a dresscode, enforce it. Dont let even one seasonal employee dress outside of it. I want my VS ladies to look as lovely as the models that advertise the underwear no matter the size, age, or gender of the employee, but with clothes.

3. If you are a manager- Act like one. Dont serve your employees and do all their tasks and run their errands. Make them wear their big boy pants and big girl panties and do something for themselves.

4. If it is busy, make sure employees on the floor are either serving customers or tidying up. Dont let them squawk at one another just because they are lazy. The only thing worse than this would be for them to be on a phone on the floor. No excuses. Just do it.

5. A business is not a friendship club. Its a work space.

6. Above all else, the stores I find most enjoyable to shop in are the ones where I am treated with respect. Pay attention to your customers. Greet them with a smile. Answer their questions. Show them where they can find things. Make the experience about the customer NOT YOU, and then I will return.

7. KEEP THE STORE CLEAN.

Two of my favorite stores to shop in no matter where I am are Helzburg Diamonds and Fire & Ice. No I cant afford the majority of the pretty, sparkley things they have displayed in their windows, but I will always go in one. The employees have always taken the time to answer my questions, open jewelry cases, and give me information about the items I am looking at no matter how I am dressed, what my hair looks like, or what city I am in. I could be wearing jeans and a t-shirt with holes and paint stains, and they still smile, welcome me warmly, and treat me the same as any other customer that enters the store. They are the models for how a business should be run.

No comments:

Post a Comment